Saturday, February 2, 2008

Quastolia - The Middle Years

In an earlier post I described the origins of Quastolia. Our "ant countries" started out in our back yards, but soon after that, Bill and I expanded the geography to include more than just our home neighborhoods. Both Quastolia and Ceygolia grew to encompass most of our small towns (Bill lived in the next town to the north of mine).

A political map:


A tophographic map of sorts:


A little of both:


We continued to develop extensive economic and cultural histories for our kingdoms. The region in which our kingdoms resided was known as Aqceyquas, named after the three brothers that founded the first three kingdoms: Aq, Ceygol and Quas. Very bad epic poetry tells the story of the birth of the brothers. Their mother was the goddess Utipia. There was a falling out between Aq and his brothers, becoming a source of conflict throught the region's history. I won't bore you with the rest.

A map of Aqceyquas by Bill:


Once again, you can see the strong influence of J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings in our mapmaking, especially for Bill, who was always a better artist than me.

To the right is a satelite image of Aqceyquas. Here's your challenge: I haven't named my hometown, but in other posts I have left plenty of clues as to where I am from. Can you locate Aqceyquas?

Offer your answers in the comments.

Story continued: Quastolia - The Later Years

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At Sunday, February 03, 2008 , Blogger Cartophiliac said...

I received a guess of Cambridge, Ohio...

No. I live in Ohio now, but did not then.

 
At Wednesday, February 06, 2008 , Blogger Michael5000 said...

Oh, man. This is the kind of puzzle that I would love to spend all day working on, if I didn't have other commitments. And I still might anyway.

But here's my quickie hail mary shot: We've got lots of lakes, probably of subglacial origin, and that suggests Minnesota to me. We've got what appears to be fairly rapid suburban-style development, and that suggests the outer belt of the Twin Cities suburbs. From the road pattern, I'm thinking northwest of the cities, on the way towards, if memory serves, St. Cloud.

Hoo-boy. It's a long shot, but I'll throw it out there.

 
At Wednesday, February 06, 2008 , Blogger Cartophiliac said...

Good reasoning, good guess, wrong answer.

I've never lived in Minnesota, tho I did live in Wisconsin. But that is not the answer either.

Here's a clue:

http://cartophilia.com/blog/2008/01/ohio-state-university-cannot-beat-sec.html

 
At Wednesday, February 06, 2008 , Blogger Cartophiliac said...

But then, perhaps I shouldn't expect a left-coaster like you to appreciate a Midwestern rivalry... ;-)

 
At Friday, February 08, 2008 , Blogger Michael5000 said...

Well with that kind of hint, it's fish in a barrel. Same reasoning transplanted, and run the "Dixie Highway" diagonally through the middle of the map. We've got a match!

 
At Friday, February 08, 2008 , Blogger Cartophiliac said...

Final clue, and answer really, is right here in my very first post.

http://cartophilia.com/blog/2007/09/story-of-cartophiliac.html

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home