Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Kathryn Rodrigues

Kathryn Rodrigues, a Chicago based artist, says that maps are an enormous inspiration to her and her work.


Where Land Ends and Sea Begins #3, 2007. Mixed media.
By the time I was beginning high school, my family had moved ten times. This transient lifestyle left me with a deep interest in geography, memory and cultural identity. I see maps as being the intersection of these three subjects. They are able to reflect both home and abroad, the known and unknown, belonging and longing. It is precisely this ambiguity that continues to intrigue me. By referencing both visual and symbolic aspects of maps, I have recreated the process of investigating what and where I have come from, and the world around me today.

Germany. 2008. Photogram.


#230

Labels:

1 Comments:

At Tuesday, July 29, 2008 , Blogger Matt Maldre said...

This is great work! Thanks for posting it. It's nice to see another artist from Chicago that loves maps.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home