Thursday, November 5, 2009

AT&T Sues Verizon Over Coverage Map

For several weeks, the Verizon Wireless commercial mocking AT&T for their coverage has caught my eye:



I thought at the time that there had to be something wrong with those maps. I could not believe that AT&T customers were that limited...



It turns out, AT&T agrees. They have filed a lawsuit, claiming that Verizon is misleading "consumers into believing that AT&T doesn't offer ANY wireless service in the vast majority of the country."

So, what the map really shows is 3G coverage, whatever that is. AT&T apparently offers less 3G coverage, but most of the country is covered for standard cell phone service.

Full disclosure: I am a Verizon Wireless customer, but sadly, I have not received any sort of considerations from them. Hey! I'm easy. For a significant discount on my cell phone service, I could become a shill for Verizon. Can you hear me now?

UPDATE 11/20: I see that AT&T has lost their battle...

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At Thursday, November 19, 2009 , Blogger M. Knoester said...

The commercial only says 3G about five times, no wonder people are confused.

Let's play judge here. Does it say clearly what it is about? Are the maps accurate as far as the data in question is concerned? Can any reasonable person see this is not a representation of AT&T's total coverage?

Yes, yes (otherwise they would've included it in the suit) and yes.

Next case.

On the up side, I didn't know the US had this much 3G capability.

 
At Thursday, November 19, 2009 , Blogger Cartophiliac said...

Yes, pretty much everything I have read since I posted this has led me to believe, "tough rocks AT&T".

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home