Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Milwaukee Supervisor Gets "F" in Southwest Geography

Peggy West, Milwaukee County Supervisor, has apparently never looked at a map of the Southwest United States (beyond Texas).

From the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinal:
In supporting a proposed county boycott of business with Arizona, she said Arizona did not share a border with Mexico. The gaffe was captured by WTMJ-TV (Channel 4).

"If this was Texas, which is a state that is directly on the border with Mexico, and they were calling for a measure like this, saying that they had a major issue with undocumented people flooding their borders, I would have to look twice at this," West said. "But this is a state that is a ways removed from the border."


Perhaps she saw the Gadsden Purchase in some history book and thought it was the 51st State...



I wonder how she would hold up in a Geography Quiz vs. Miss Teen South Carolina:



Peggy probably wouldn't come in 3rd place in The Amazing Race!

Via Lost States

UPDATE

Barbara reminded me about Georgia Congressman Hank Johnson and his worry that Guam will flip over and capsize if too many soldiers are stationed there...



And of course, who can forget Sen. McCain's Iraq Pakistan border gaff?

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At Friday, July 02, 2010 , Anonymous Phil Lacefield Jr. said...

Christ almighty, people is STUPID. I can't listen to any of those clips without wanting to shove anicepick through my ear - especially that last one, a congressman no less!

*sigh*

 
At Tuesday, July 06, 2010 , Blogger OneLifeLiveIt said...

Reminds me of the time I was in Lake Tahoe when a woman came up to me and screeched 'Where ya from?' in a solid 7th generation US accent.

I said - New Zealand! Gave her a polite smile.

She then blurted - Oh wow!. Yeah I love Europe I went there once a few years back!

I gave a polite smile again.
Didn't want to ruin he memories but guess she won't win that pub quiz!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home