Tuesday, September 4, 2007

What is Cartophilia?

Cartophila = Love of maps

"Carto" as in cartography

Cartophiliac = One who loves maps

I don't pretend to have coined this term. I'm not sure who did. Fifteen or so years ago, I subscribed to a newsletter that I think was called Cartophilia*. It's publisher was a collector of maps and map memorabilia. I think he collected primarily post cards and the like, much as I do. But the point was, he was a collector of affordable maps. I love antique maps, but I could never afford to collect something like that. He inspired me in my own collection, which you will read about on these pages, if I don't bore you completely to tears.

One of my hopes is that someone will read this blog and remind me of who that gentleman was (all I remember was that he lived in New England somewhere). I would like to credit him for coining the term (if he did) as well as credit him for encouraging me in my hobby.

*UPDATE 9/25/07: While looking for something else, I came across info that reminds me that Cartomania is/was published by Siegfried Feller in Massachusetts.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At Friday, November 02, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Indeed Siegfried Feller edited his wonderfully eclectic newsletter, Cartomania, from 1986 to its final issue in the Fall of 1999. His collection of over 10,000 map postcards, trade cards, matchbooks, T-shirts and more was recently given to the Harvard Map Collection. The collection is now being rehoused for preservation purposes and an exhibit of a selection of these items will open this month at the Harvard Map Collection.

David Cobb, Curator
Harvard Map Collection

 
At Thursday, May 14, 2009 , Blogger Jen said...

I couldn't figure out how to send an email, so you can delete this if you want.

Check it out!

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/04/090429-stress-map-kentucky-picture.html?source=email_places_20090514&email=places

I love maps too.

 
At Sunday, November 21, 2010 , Anonymous Jonathan said...

I too couldn't find out how to share this link with you by email. So here goes it: http://decor8blog.com/2010/09/30/florian-pucher-land-rugs/

 
At Sunday, November 21, 2010 , Blogger Cartophiliac said...

That's great! Everyone should give their cows wall-to-wall carpeting.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home