Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Utah: The Beehive State

In my last post, I made light of a bleak future for the Great Salt Lake if aflicted by global warming... To make up with my Beehive State friends, I present the Utah map postcards from my collection:



I have only visited the State of Utah once. I was sent to Provo several years ago, on business, in April. Spring in Utah is beautiful.
  • Utah is one of the Super Tuesday Primary States today.
  • It is one of the most religiously homogeneous states in the Union, with approximately 61% of its inhabitants claiming membership in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.





  • According the 2000 Census, Utah was the fourth fastest growing state (at 29.6 percent) in the United States between 1990 and 2000.
  • The world's first installed parking meter was in Utah City, on July 16, 1935. Carl C. Magee, of Utah City, Utah, is generally credited with originating the parking meter. He filed for a patent for a "coin controlled parking meter" on May 13, 1935.
Utahans prefer to use their state quarter when paying for parking.

Here we see the Utah quarter, released in 2007, depicting the famous steam engine collision of 1896...

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At Thursday, February 07, 2008 , Blogger Michael5000 said...

Utah is a strange place in a lot of ways, but there's a lot to check out there. Here's one: if you find yourself in SLC, go to the public library. It's one of the most amazing buildings I've ever been in. Not kidding!

 
At Friday, February 08, 2008 , Blogger Cartophiliac said...

I was in Provo, Utah, somewhere around 1994... the most annoying thing was that it was impossible to get a good cup of coffee (I think LDS are not supposed to drink coffee). I wonder if Starbucks has corrupted the state yet?

 
At Saturday, February 09, 2008 , Blogger MDIJim said...

I've never seem the Utah quarter up close, but would it not be depicting the driving of the golden spike to celebrate the completion of the first transcontinental railroad in 1869?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home