Friday, April 11, 2008

Apple and Potatoe Worlds

Kevin Van Aelst's color photographs "include every day foods and objects: bread, doughnuts, crackers, candy, floor tile, sweaters, and lint. These simple materials are arranged into shapes and patterns inspired by formulas found in science and mathematics, such as fractal geometry, chaos theory, biology and chemistry."

And geography!

Apple Globe, 2007, Digital C-Print




_________________________________________

Discovering that crunchy map reminded me to pull out and scan this advertisement I saved from a restaurant industry magazine back in the 1990's.

McCain Foods Limited, is the world's largest producer of frozen french fries.

Sadly, neither of these works of art can be found in any museum. Hopefully they ended up on someone's plate...



Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At Friday, April 11, 2008 , Blogger Unknown said...

Courtesy of Dan Quayle!

 
At Friday, April 11, 2008 , Blogger Cartophiliac said...

Oeh, yoeu think yoeu are soe very clever...

Hey! It was a correct alternate spelling in the 19th century!

I think I must have been channeling Dan Quayle when I wrote that. I actually saved that potato advertisement in or around 1992... the year that DQ actually came to my campus to campaign (I was working at a Michigan Community College Library then...). I came within about 2 feet of shaking his hand. I got stuck with Michigan Governor John Engler instead... blech!

I'm trying to imagine some clever pun as the reason for that spelling, but it was clearly a brain fart on my part. I won't change it now... perhaps it will attract some other spelling police to find this post and comment on it... :-)

 
At Wednesday, April 16, 2008 , Blogger Michael5000 said...

Oh, these are cool. Love that apple!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home