Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Say Yes! to Michigan

The most anthropomorphic of the United States is Michigan, with its lower peninsula shaped like a mittened hand. (The second most anthropomorphic state is Florida... but I'm not going there...) In much the same way that Texas is in love with its shape, and likes to use it everywhere in design, Michigan loves to flaunt its handy shape... In addition, Michiganians are fortunate to always carry a map of their state.

Unless of course, you happen to live in Michigan's upper peninsula... then you have to do something like this:

In the late 1980's to early 1990's, the Michigan Department of Tourism used as its slogan, "Say Yes! To Michigan." It was a silly slogan, accompanied by an insipid jingle (that is stuck in my head as I type). I was living in Michigan at the time, so I don't know how widespread the campaign was in other states, but the emphasis in-state was to encourage folks to spend their vacation money at home. Without a doubt, Michigan is a "Water Winter Wonderland" (an even earlier slogan) with much to offer to the outdoors enthusiast.

Meijer is a supermarket chain, founded in Michigan and based in the midwest. In conjunction with the Michigan Travel Bureau, Meijer produced a series of state travel maps and events brochures. I saved as many examples as I could find...











Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At Sunday, April 20, 2008 , Blogger Michael5000 said...

I suggest "mittenpomorphic."

 
At Monday, September 29, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some time in the late 90s, there was an "immunize your little michigander" promotion that used the mittens on brochures and posters promoting full compliance with immunizations. I wonder if I still have mine? Even if I don't, I used it as inspiration to put "Michigan mittens" on my children's Christmas stockings. :^)

 
At Friday, November 14, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

may i suggest... www.michiganmittens.com ?

 
At Saturday, November 15, 2008 , Blogger Cartophiliac said...

Yes, you may!

 
At Tuesday, August 03, 2010 , Anonymous J. J. Gillette - RV Traveler Extrordinaire said...

I still say YES to Michigan! Not going anywhere, anytime soon! Been a lot of places and still haven't found a place like here. It's a true GEM!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home