Sunday, May 11, 2008

Almost Heaven?

The next stop on the Neverending Democratic Primary season is West Virginia.



West Virginia is the butt of many hillbilly jokes, and it would be politically incorrect of me to repeat them here... OK, maybe one:

Q. What do a tornado and a West Virginia divorce have in common?

A. Someone always loses a trailer.



West Virginia, the Mountain State, detached itself from the rebellious Commonwealth of Virginia and became the 35th state in 1863.

State song: Montani Semper Liberi (Mountaineers Are Always Free)

Almost heaven, west virginia
Blue ridge mountains
Shenandoah river -
Life is old there
Older than the trees
Younger than the mountains
Growin like a breeze

Country roads, take me home
To the place I belong
West virginia, mountain momma
Take me home, country roads
-- John Denver
I have visited West Virginia several times, for white water rafting, and understand why many love it for its beautiful mountains and valleys. Here are a few (non-map) postcards (click to enlarge):





Like many states*, the cardinal is the West Virginia State Bird



* See also: Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, North Carolina, Ohio and Virginia

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At Thursday, May 15, 2008 , Blogger Michael5000 said...

West Virginia is the only state I've never been to. Well, unless you count Hawaii. Which I guess you'd kind of have to.

West Virginia is one of only two states I've never been to.

 
At Thursday, May 15, 2008 , Blogger Cartophiliac said...

Most routes to get anywhere tend to go around WV... mostly because of the mountains.

Beautiful country.

So, you've been to Alaska?

 
At Thursday, December 10, 2009 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I am creating a brochure and would like to use the first postcard in this post. Can you tell me who made it if possible so I can get permission to use it.

Thanks
Grahame Dryden

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home