Friday, April 17, 2009

High-Speed Rail in America

President Obama, as part of the stimulus package, has proposed investment in a high-speed rail network that would "transform the nation’s transportation system by rebuilding existing rail infrastructure while developing a comprehensive high-speed intercity passenger rail network through a long-term commitment at both the federal and state levels."



Here in Ohio, we are excited about the possibility of the so-called "3-C Corridor". A high speed system that would connect Cleveland, Columbus and Cincinnati (via Dayton).



I'm excited by the possibility of hopping on a train for a high-speed trip to one of the 3-C cities, perhaps for a sporting event or concert. Connect us to the 4th "C", Chicago, and the idea of a weekend visit sounds a lot easier and more comfortable (instead of after a 7-hour drive).

Labels:

6 Comments:

At Friday, April 17, 2009 , Anonymous Greg said...

As an ex-Findlayer (now in the land of Cleve), I can't figure out why all the maps I've seen of rail in OH have the Ft. Wayne-to-Lima and the Toledo-to-Columbus lines intersect around Dunkirk, instead of, say, Findlay. There's nothing in Dunkirk to connect to, as far as I'm aware; it's just a very small town. At least Findlay is around 40K people. A connection in Kenton would make just as much sense, too. Dunkirk doesn't, though.

 
At Friday, April 17, 2009 , Blogger Cartophiliac said...

Don't know that area well, but presumably it has to do with existing infrastructure. I think none of these plans are written in stone... Findlay's city fathers need to start lobbying and making their case...

 
At Friday, April 17, 2009 , Blogger Dug said...

I think my comment got shredded b/c I forgot to word verify (it's "sperm" - go figure). Anyway as I was saying connect Cleveland to Buffalo and/or Pittsburgh and we're really going places now! I like the map a lot but would love to see it bigger as my old fogey eyes are not reading it easily.

 
At Friday, April 17, 2009 , Blogger Cartophiliac said...

Follow the links to the actual federal report. There is a pdf file that you can download and look at more closely.

 
At Monday, April 20, 2009 , Blogger Erik Maldre said...

That'd be fantastic! I live in Chicago and have in-laws in Columbus. So it looks like I'd have to make at least on transfer to get to Columbus. I wonder how much ticket prices would be.

 
At Saturday, May 02, 2009 , Blogger Michael5000 said...

I wonder how serious high-speed we're talking about here? There's already pretty good Eugene to Seattle, but it does tend to be a bit... stately.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home