Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Maps on Stamps

When I started this blog, nearly two years ago, my intention was to highlight my own scattered collections of map memorabilia. In fact, I have scanned many map postcards from my collection, as well as shirts, mugs, Christmas ornaments, advertising, etc. However, the one thing I haven't covered yet, in spite of being the first thing mentioned in my masthead, is stamps. I have a small collection (compared to serious stamp collectors) of stamps featuring maps. Unfortunately, I have not got around to scanning them.

However, this morning, while searching for something else (a simple way to compare the area of states and countries) I came across this image of a Mexican stamp, issued in 1977, to mark the resumption of diplomatic relations between Mexico and Spain:



On his website, Dan of Dan's Topical Stamps, points out that here is a difference in scale between Mexico and Spain. If Mexico were drawn to the same scale as Spain, it would be about four times larger. While it might have been a geographically correct stamp, it might not have been politically correct, nor as aesthetically pleasing.

While browsing through Dan's Topical Stamps, I found several other interesting map stamps.

Here is a drawing of Gandhi caricatured as India:



A Dutch stamp with a Frisian cow whose spots are maps of European countries, including the Netherlands, Great Britain, Ireland and Italy:



The first postal map stamp issued by the United States was issued in 1904 to commemorate the centennial of the Louisiana Purchase:



Hopefully in the next few months I'll get around to sharing some of my own map stamps.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At Wednesday, May 20, 2009 , Blogger Unknown said...

Do you have any stamp maps, as opposed to map stamps? Maybe a map stamp of a stamp map!

 
At Wednesday, May 20, 2009 , Blogger Cartophiliac said...

ummmm..... no. But thanks for asking!

 
At Saturday, May 23, 2009 , Anonymous johnny0 said...

If you are a Mac person, I made a series of maps stencils for OmniGraffle that has each country roughly to scale, meaning you can drag Spain right next to Mexico. Or put Japan, Chile and other long countries next to the west coast of the US and get your mind stretched. Or drag Texas onto Antarctica. (The McMurdo Sound ice sheet is pretty damn big.)

Anyway, the stencils are now built into OmniGraffle.

 
At Saturday, May 23, 2009 , Blogger Michael5000 said...

Oooh, awesome post! It lacks only flaggage!

I'm pretty sure I've seen a world map set up so that every country was represented by a stamp or stamps. Maybe that would help Eronarn out.

 
At Saturday, May 23, 2009 , Blogger Michael5000 said...

Here we go: http://wklondon.typepad.com/welcome_to_optimism/images/2008/04/23/stamps_of_the_world_map.jpg

You're welcome, Eronarn.

 
At Saturday, May 23, 2009 , Blogger Unknown said...

Awesome! I consider myself thoroughly impressed.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home