Monday, July 27, 2009

Postcards Take a Vacation

Last week I lamented the lack of map postcards, and postcards in general while on vacation in North Carolina. On our last day on the beach, we decided to try parasailing. After a long drive around the Marine Corps base at Camp Lejeune, we arrived at Atlantic Beach in time to find out that all parasail flights had been canceled due to thunderstorms. So we toured historic Fort Macon instead.

And there, in the park gift shop, I found two map postcards!



Both of these cards depict the Outer Banks of the North Carolina coast, a portion of NC that I have never actually visited, but that has never stopped this map postcards collector before.

The second postcard records the many shipwrecks of the area. An interesting thing I learned at Fort Macon was that just a couple years after the state of North Carolina had restored the Fort as part of a State Park, the U.S. Army re-armed the fort as part of the coastal defences in 1942. Several of those ships on the card were sunk by German U-Boats.

After returning home from this vacation, I was pleasantly surprised to find this fine postcard to add to my collection. I've never been to Scotland either.

Thanks Allison!

Naturally, when you return home from a week's vacation, you need to go grocery shopping. Another surprise! The grocery store has an Ohio postcard that I haven't seen before. w00t!

So, I guess I can call this a successful postcard vacation after all.



Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At Saturday, August 08, 2009 , Blogger paintandink said...

You are welcome... glad it arrived!

 
At Thursday, August 13, 2009 , Anonymous David Croyle said...

Have you seen any of the USGS postcards? I got several at the most recent Menlo Park open house, including this one: http://pubs.usgs.gov/gip/2007/54/

 
At Thursday, August 13, 2009 , Blogger Cartophiliac said...

Very nice.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home