Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Gnomes of North America via Mexico!

Cartophilia, the love of maps, is universal and international.

Recently discovered: ¡Mapas, mapas! a Spanish language map blog by Fernando Augusto López Plascencia of Mexico.

What map has caught Fernando's eye? Gnomes of North America:



In particular, the Gnomes of Frankenmuth, Michigan. Frankenmuth is famous throughout Michigan for its year-round Christmas themed shopping and "family-style" chicken dinners. We used to go there every year when I was younger, but no one ever told me about the Gnomes...

I guess they are secret no more...

#465

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At Wednesday, September 09, 2009 , Anonymous Jonathan said...

Gnomes on the coast of Hudson Bay?

I definitely didn't see any when I visited Kuujarapik and Umiujaq in northern Quebec. Yet, according to the Gnomes map, both communities are suppose to hvae them.

Perhaps the snow was too high to reveal the gnomes on the ground, even though I was there in the end of April and early May a few years ago.

I wonder how this gnome map was made.

 
At Wednesday, September 09, 2009 , Blogger Cartophiliac said...

By careful scientific observation, I have no doubt.

 
At Wednesday, September 09, 2009 , Blogger Kimmy said...

There's a family of them that live in my backyard. Unmapped though as we are in middle Georgia. They are of the former swamplands gnome variety.

 
At Sunday, September 20, 2009 , Blogger sgenius said...

Thank you very much for the mention :).

By the way, I wonder why are there no colonies on my homeland... the climate, maybe?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home