Monday, December 28, 2009

2009 Retrospective Part I

As 2009 comes to a close, I'll take a look back at some of the cartographic fun I've had with this blog. I hope you've enjoyed it as much as I have. Following are my favorite posts from each month.

January:

The United States of Football. No one else seems to like them... the only feedback I ever get is from a fan who feels their team's territory has been misdrawn. However, I enjoy making them, so I will continue to create these maps of the United State as the NFL playoffs progress. Since the 2009 season does not end until January 3, you'll have to wait until next month for the first installment.



February:


In February, I found several more examples of Cartographic Valentines, including this map of Terra Romantica by Alison Murray Whittington (that later became Ms. Cartophiliac's valentine).





March:

The stained glass globe at the Mapparium in Boston was a special treat in March.



April:

In April I enjoyed a serendipitous convergence between a library reference question and one of my favorite boardgames with Real Power Grids.



May:

The Teabaggers in Texas could not stop talking about secession in 2009. The very thought of the Kenyan-born Barack Obama as president was just too much to handle. This led me to imagine what the map of the United States might look like if other secessionist movements were able to succeed: The Disunited States of America



June:

In the Spring, Ms. Cartophiliac and I purchased new bicycles and in June we set out on a goal to bicycle the full-length of the Little Miami Scenic Trail before the end of Summer. (We finished in September.)




Part II coming soon.

#520



Labels:

4 Comments:

At Tuesday, December 29, 2009 , Blogger MJN said...

Help! I am desperately trying to figure out something about a map I've found on Forbes.com. I want to know if there is a specific type of name for this type of map/mapping and further if you know of what type of software I can look into that would enable me to recreate a map like this. Forbes has been no help and I've come across your blog so I think you'd have an excellent idea. Here's the link to the map on the Forbes Magazine website...

http://www.forbes.com/2006/03/08/hometowns-networths-worlds-richest_06billionaires_map.html

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

 
At Tuesday, December 29, 2009 , Blogger Cartophiliac said...

Unfortunately, I am but an amateur map lover, not a cartographer. I know that some REAL cartographers read this blog. Hopefully someone will respond.

You might try corresponding with John Krygier at the Making Maps blog:
http://makingmaps.net/

 
At Saturday, January 09, 2010 , Anonymous Kearn said...

"The United States of Football. No one else seems to like them... the only feedback I ever get is from a fan who feels their team's territory has been misdrawn."

That was actually one of my favorite posts - really creative and interesting.

 
At Saturday, January 09, 2010 , Blogger MJN said...

Thank You!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home