Thursday, April 24, 2008

Appalachia for Hillary

In his article, Pennsylvania Confirms Hillary’s Appalachian Prowess, The Electoral Map blogger, Patrick Ottenhoff, illustrates the popularity of Hillary Clinton throughout the Appalachian region of the United States:



Ottenhoff concludes:
North Carolina, West Virginia and Kentucky have yet to vote, but if the electoral maps of the rest of Appalachia are any indication, Hillary can expect huge wins in the Appalachian pockets of these states.
Read the full article for more analysis and electoral maps.

Appalachia, as it is defined in the map above, is one part of the larger electoral region of "Cumberland", as defined by Beyond Red & Blue. Are these not the "blue-collar Reagan Democrat" voters that the Democratic candidate will need to win the White House?

In a conversation, after the Pennsylvania Primary results were known, an Obama supporter said to me (in jest) that those "inbred hicks" were responsible for Clinton's win. Yet, isn't that the sort of "elitist" attitude that brought on the controversy surrounding Barack Obama's "bitter" comments? This is an area of concern that Obama and his campaign must address if they hope to prevail in November (not just a couple weeks from now in North Carolina and Indiana).

Cartophilia will not become a politics blog, but political maps often catch my eye when they contain telling information. Feel free to comment below and tell me how I'm full of it...

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At Thursday, April 24, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is some racism in those communities that may well be contributing to these results. A good thing to be aware of.

 
At Thursday, April 24, 2008 , Blogger Christine M. said...

Interesting post from a man who doesn't want to live in Cincinnati because it's "almost Kentucky." ;-)

 
At Friday, April 25, 2008 , Blogger Cartophiliac said...

Who else, but a Cincinnati native, to understand "inbred hicks"... ;-)

 
At Friday, April 25, 2008 , Blogger Christine M. said...

...and who was a denizen of a trailer park, to boot, though not in Cincinnati.

 
At Monday, September 08, 2008 , Blogger ESJRR Editor said...

Hi I just came across your site and wondered if you wouldn't mind linking to my blog, "Bitter White Folks for Obama" - I'm trying to get the working-class, rural, white, Protestant "Appalachian" demographic (and their descendants and diaspora, of which I am one) behind him as much as I am able by sounding off from my own vantage point. From what I've been reading about Obama's "Appalachian Problem", this is going to be an absolutely crucial task for the next two months as it may be them who decide where things go (many of those battleground areas, for instance in eastern Ohio are primarily Appalachian migrants to the North). My biggest obstacle so far is that my blog is not yet showing up in Google even after almost a week of existence because not enough other sites are linked to it yet, although I've already gotten over 400 hits even without that - so would you mind linking to it so that I can start making more of an impact? I'd really appreciate it! I'll link ya
back. Jason.

http://bitterwhitefolksforobama.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home