Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Lüneburg

Becca, a college student who also works in my library department, spent the last four months studying in Lüneburg, Germany. As always, I ask my traveling friends to pick up map postcards. Becca did not let me down.



Lüneburg is famous for its salt mines. While they are now closed, Becca said that she saw many buildings that were sagging or crumbling because of collapsed mines underneath. Unfortunately, Salt Museum was closed for the winter.



Other museums in Lüneburg include The Museum of the Principality of Lüneburg (bookprinting and bookbinding), the East Prussian History Museum, and a Brewing Museum.



Unlike many cities in in Germany, Lüneburg was spared during WWII and few of its historical buildings were damaged.



One of Becca's less productive activities while on the job is drawing "amusing" cartoons on the dry erase board...



"Nerdy collection"!.... harumpf!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At Thursday, May 15, 2008 , Blogger Dug said...

I've always been partial to the European style of cartography. I don't know why our US city maps always need to look so dull in comparison.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home