Thursday, November 6, 2008

Purple States of America 2008

Mark Newman has already come out with his 2008 Election Cartograms. (Last year I highlighted his 2004 Election Cartograms.)

Take the standard electoral vote maps we have been seeing since election night, and adjust the shape and size of each state for population and you get this:



It gives some real perspective on the size of Barack Obama's electoral vote landslide. However, as we know, in many of these states, the popular vote was very close. Re-color the map to show how the counties voted; strongly for Obama is dark blue, strongly for McCain is bright red, and shades of purple for everything in between...



Once again, the nation is bruised, but carries on...

UPDATE

Declan Butler has his own calculations for a population cartogram. He also includes Hawaii and Alaska (that sort of looks like a squashed bug...)



Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At Friday, November 07, 2008 , Blogger Michael5000 said...

These are teh sweet. Love the way the county-by-county cartogram captures the way Democratic cities are in a matrix of Republican rural areas....

 
At Friday, November 07, 2008 , Blogger Dug said...

Hey! I just put some similar maps on my site and then I see yours! Can we share them? Thanks for listing me BTW. I love what happens to Alaska in those cartograms - I mean where it gets all spidery , not the ones where it disappears.

I also like my Word Verification word - uggon!

 
At Friday, November 07, 2008 , Blogger Dug said...

I take that back! On closer review I actually put up THE SAME map, not a "similar" one. OK full disclosure has been made.

duorizzi's a nice word but I still like uggon.

 
At Friday, November 07, 2008 , Blogger Cartophiliac said...

There have been so many great electoral maps over the last couple weeks. I decided I couldn't possibly cover them all.

You are always welcome to "borrow" my maps... since I almost always "borrow" them from somewhere else.

 
At Saturday, November 08, 2008 , Blogger Matt Maldre said...

I like how on that first map Illinois appears so big and right in the middle. :-)

And the purple map is interesting how all the red areas form circles. It goes to show how larger cities voted for Obama and the surrounding areas in rural America went McCain.

 
At Saturday, March 06, 2010 , Blogger Unknown said...

A similar graphic appears on the movie poster for Southland Tales. Narrated by Sir Justin Timberlake.

http://www.impawards.com/2007/posters/southland_tales_ver2.jpg

 
At Sunday, March 07, 2010 , Blogger Cartophiliac said...

kinda creepy looking....

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home