Wednesday, December 31, 2008

2008 Retrospective Part II

Continuing my look back at some of my favorite posts from each month in 2008:

July

The U.S. Presidential Election was going strong. Both parties had narrowed down to their primary candidates, and the pundits and comedians were having a field day over verbal gaffs like, "the Iraq-Pakistan border" and "fifty-seven states".

August

In August I toured Mexico City and Morelos with Mrs. Cartophiliac. Many fine map postcards came home with us.

September

MMMmmmmmm.... Edible maps....

October

How the States Got Their Shapes by Mark Stein, was the most interesting map book I read this year. It answered so many questions, such as why Texas and California are so out sized, especially when so many Midwestern states are nearly identical in size, and was Delaware really necessary?

November

The Presidential Election on November 4 brought forward a plethora of electoral maps, analyzing the results from every angle.

December

From the beginning of Cartophilia I have reveled in the beauty and challenge of maps in art. It has been fascinating to see how so many talented artists have chosen to use maps as the focus, or an important element, of their work. It has been my privilege to highlight so many of them here.

I hope you've enjoyed maps as much as I have this past year. In December I fell behind my usual pace for a while. Things got a little busy. Real life and all that, darn it. However, I have a nice backlog of interesting maps to share in the weeks to come.

Happy New Year!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At Saturday, January 03, 2009 , Blogger Orange said...

Have you seen this state mottoes map artwork?

 
At Saturday, January 03, 2009 , Blogger Cartophiliac said...

I had not seen that one. It's great. Thanks! I'll definitely post it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home