Friday, December 5, 2008

America Deflated

Often I have highlighted a map that provides an "inflated view" of its subject. In other words, making it appear larger (and by inference, more important).

Artist Nina Katchadourian has taken an opposite approach. She has taken a standard AAA road map of the United States and "deflated" it, to only include the portions that are relevant to her life:

Coastal Merger:
I was born in California, moved to the east coast for college, went back to the west coast for graduate school, and now live on the east coast again. This map reflects my bicoastal experience of this country.
From a purely technical point of view, I am impressed with the way she carefully matched up coastlines and highways to create a seamless merger. I wish I could get a closer look.

Katchadourian's work can also be seen in this collection, Opener 11: Nina Katchadourian: All Forms of Attraction and in my favorite "maps as art" book, You Are Here: Personal Geographies and Other Maps of the Imagination by Katharine Harmon.

Via Creative Mapping: "A blog dedicated to the creative use of maps in art or how to map information creatively. All in all we are dedicated to showing map art."

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At Saturday, December 06, 2008 , Blogger Tom said...

I'm really tired of this whole "flyover state" mentality.
It's bad enough the government and media cater to every whim of California and New York...now this blog is doing it as well??? Very small thinking IMHO.

 
At Monday, December 08, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

what planet are you on? neither the artist or carto said anything about flyover states, or put down anyone. she's making art about where she lives. stop feeling sad cuz you're not part of her world. not cool. small brain, I think

 
At Tuesday, April 14, 2009 , Blogger paintandink said...

This map is great - I could aaaaalmost adopt it as my own. (I'm actually thinking of drawing something similar reflecting my own life for the Hand-Drawn map contest.)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home