Friday, September 25, 2009

McUSA

Stephen Von Worley, at Weather Sealed, asks the question, "Just how far away can you get from our world of generic convenience?" How far can you get from a McDonald's restaurant?

So, he created a map:



He created "a visualization of the contiguous United States, colored by distance to the nearest domestic McDonald’s!" Not too surprising, the Golden Arches® are never far from the horizon.

The answer to the question, by the way, is in South Dakota.

Don't get me wrong. I'm no McDonald's hater. Every few weeks, I treat myself to my favorite breakfast fast-food sandwich, the Sausage Egg & Cheese McGriddle®. MMMMmmmm sweet savory greasy goodness. However, when looking at the map at full resolution, it is hard to not think of the fat globules clogging my arteries:



Via The Map Room

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At Friday, September 25, 2009 , Blogger Michael5000 said...

I find the West Virginia McDonald's Gap kind of interesting.

 
At Friday, September 25, 2009 , Blogger Cartophiliac said...

and for some reason, they are harder to find in the middle of the Everglades.

 
At Tuesday, September 29, 2009 , Blogger Erik Maldre said...

McDonald's needs to come up with a better desert strategy. Nevada is misrepresented.

Though it is interesting to see how less congested California is compared to other metropolitan areas. Supply and demand in action there.

Don't get me wrong, every couple months I have to get a plain double cheeseburger. I'm lovin' it, just in moderation.

 
At Tuesday, September 29, 2009 , Blogger Cartophiliac said...

I think you mean "under-represented"... but I agree cactus and lizards need their Big Macs too!

 
At Friday, October 15, 2010 , Anonymous Christmas Girl said...

That map is staggering..I knew there were a lot of them but thats unbelieveable. I never go near them personally ( when obviously I can't avoid goign near them but I never go in them)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home