Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Map Quilt Art?

Regretsy is the website that highlights less than stellar art to be found on Etsy, the sell-it-yourself arts and craft website. Regretsy has become such a popular site, sometimes I wonder if people intentionally create regretful art in hopes of being featured there... Intentional, ironic, satiric or serious, this one cannot be ignored:



These United States of America
by the seller "muddlefoot".

Titled "Continental Drift" on Regretsy.

Via The Map Room

UPDATE 8/25: Geography blogger, "kuschk", has solved the mystery of the quilt... it is a cartogram!



More images and commentary at his new blog The Basement Geographer

"kuschk" describes himself as an, "Obsessive-compulsive geographer with a morbid sense of humour that I try and keep out of my blog." I'll be adding this one to the list of blogs I follow.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At Wednesday, August 25, 2010 , Blogger kuschk said...

I'm glad to see this geographic 'disasterpiece' is making its way around the web. Once I saw it yesterday, I couldn't help but try and digitise it: http://basementgeographer.blogspot.com/2010/08/beautiful-hand-sewn-maps-of-us-just.html

My hypothesis: it's secretly a cartogram and the quilter is busy at this moment sewing the legend.

 
At Wednesday, August 25, 2010 , Blogger Cartophiliac said...

kuschk: excellent... I'll be updating the post this afternoon with a link you your blog! Thanks!

 
At Wednesday, August 25, 2010 , Blogger kuschk said...

Thank you very much for the link; I've made the same update to the post on my site in return!

 
At Saturday, August 28, 2010 , Blogger Unknown said...

So its a cartogram of states if all states could fit in the same square?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home