Friday, October 15, 2010

Which Way Does Your Door Swing?

From Thatsaabguy:

I'm going to start this blog off by saying that the viewpoints expressed herein are strictly mine, and in no way reflect the views of management - unless, of course, Cartophiliac agrees with me. I would also like to request that your comments and replies to this post remain civil at all times.

THAT outta get your attention.

Here it goes: the last few weeks/months/years have seen a massive upheaval of human rights discussions in our country, no longer centered on race but on sexual orientation. Many states now allow gay and lesbian couples to marry - a practice that I completely support and for the life of me cannot understand why anyone in their right mind would not. (If you're suggesting that gay marriage somehow destroys straight marriage, then why not try to abolish divorce??) And what's with the sudden rash of gay-bashing and bullying in our high schools?

The online dating site OK Cupid recently conducted a survey of over 4 million members, and came up with some hard, fast numbers "so that people might make better choices about what they say, think, and do." These numbers go a LONG way towards debunking the fear-mongering screaming about homosexuality - gay people are not interested in straights, are not promiscuous, are slightly more intelligent overall, and much more.

Where's this relate to maps, you say? How about right here:

I'm just going to let those colors speak for themselves. No, wait - here's a 2008 electoral map, that might well clear some of this up:



Full disclosure: I am not gay, nor do I have any hidden political agenda outside simple Common Sense. I live in the Seattle area, and the culture shock after moving here from southwest Ohio was immense. Nowhere have I ever lived (outside Norway) have folks been so accepting and supportive of "alternate lifestyles". Our cousins north of the border are even more so, and this map may well explain why.

I'll just let those colors speak for themselves. You, however, really should read the full survey results, posted right here. They are fascinating in every possible way, and should provide ready fuel to anyone forced to combat a bigot in a duel of wits, facts and numbers (not that these things ever helped win said arguments, of course...)

Come on, people - can't we all just get along??

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At Saturday, October 16, 2010 , Blogger Michael5000 said...

The "Gay Curious" map is in dire need of some supporting data, as there is no reason in the world for, um, gay curiosity to follow state boundaries. I mean, I'm pleased to be in the reddest state on the map, but I've spent time east of the Cascades too, know what I'm sayin'?

I guess I'm just saying I feel this desire to know more. You might say I'm... curious.

 
At Saturday, October 16, 2010 , Blogger Cartophiliac said...

Near the end of this post is a link to the OK Cupid survey results that gives a little more info on the graphic.

 
At Saturday, October 16, 2010 , Blogger Thatsaabguy said...

I think the data is broken down by zip code, as the map shows some white non-data areas in sparsely-populated areas. Kinda hard to be curious if no one lives there, I guess :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home