Thursday, September 4, 2008

Blogiversary: A Year of Maps and Map Memorabilia

Today is the First Anniversary of Cartophilia. The very first post on this blog was September 4, 2007. At the time, I wasn't sure what exactly this blog was going to be about. I had a vague notion that I was going to highlight my own small collection of map memorabilia... but then what?

As it turns out, I have only scratched the surface on my own collection, the map postcards, ads, book covers, etc., that I had collected over the years before 2007. Instead, I found a wealth of other map blogs out there to highlight, I discovered that there were far more examples of maps as art than I ever imagined, and political maps and flags and imaginary countries are just kind of fun!

Quastolia:


When I look at my stats, I see that most of the traffic is driven here by Google Images; not too surprising, since this this blog is more about mappish images than anything I write (which is usually boring). As near as I can tell, one of the most, if not THE most popular page on this blog, is my post about the United Countries of Football:



Football season is back, so maybe I'll revisit this topic...

I appear to have a following... I can see that people are reading and returning to this blog, even though I don't get many comments. I'm surprised that I have kept this up... often I start something "creative" and it peters out quickly from lack of interest or momentum. However, I don't anticipate ever running out of interesting or fun examples of maps, map memorabilia, and maps used in design and art. So, as long as it appears someone is looking from time to time, I imagine I'll stick with it.

#248

Labels:

5 Comments:

At Thursday, September 04, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent blog, here are some maps made by me, I hope you enjoy!
(http://cid-95f362ec26070c42.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Meus%20arquivos%20p%c3%bablicos/Minhas%20imagens)

 
At Thursday, September 04, 2008 , Blogger Cartophiliac said...

Hi. Thanks for sharing the link. Your name looks Brazilian to me... is that where these maps are? Or are these fantasy maps?

 
At Thursday, September 04, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you sure I'm from Brasil (here wrote with "S" instead of the "Z"), we speak Portuguese (not like when they confuse us with Argentines for obvious reasons). These maps were made by me(fantasy maps), is already a long time and I decided shows them here, thank you.

 
At Thursday, September 04, 2008 , Blogger jhunterj said...

Hey, look -- a LEXIS-NEXIS map, from back when they were hyphenated!

 
At Thursday, September 04, 2008 , Blogger Cartophiliac said...

... and before you started making those fine automobiles... ;-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home