Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Nessantico in A Magic of Twilight

I am currently reading A Magic of Twilight: Book One of the Nessantico Cycle by S. L. Farrell. George R. R. Martin has called it Farrell’s "best yet, a delicious melange of politics, war, sorcery, and religion in a richly imagined world."

Whenever I read a fantasy novel in a "richly imagined world", one of the first things I look for is a map of the imaginary world. Following the acknowledgements, I was pleased to find this map:



But wait! There's more! I turned the page to find these two maps:




And finally, not three, but four maps:



Each map zooms in on the city of Nessantico, providing a useful guide to this detailed setting. Very helpful. No fantasy author should be allowed to publish without some sort of map in their book!

I have enjoyed other books I've read by Farrell, most notably, Dark Waters Embrace (writing under the name, Stephen Leigh).

AND

If that wasn't enough, I just noticed a detail on the book cover illustration (blown up below) by Todd Lockwood. The throne room in Nessantico City includes a globe!




#348

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At Wednesday, February 25, 2009 , Blogger Tony Skaggs said...

great maps! have you ever looked at Islandia by Austin Tappan Wright (an old book from the 1940s) - also a richly imagined world with some great maps :-)

 
At Wednesday, February 25, 2009 , Blogger Cartophiliac said...

No, I haven't seen that one... unfortunately, my library's copy is missing... :-(

 
At Wednesday, February 25, 2009 , Blogger Tony Skaggs said...

probably bookfinder.com has some secondhand copies for cheap- it's worth having (I discovered it in college in 1977)

 
At Thursday, February 26, 2009 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi
I came across your blog by accident when googling images of "1960 the making of a president" game. I was trying to see if anyone else had made custom Nixon and Kennedy game pieces as I did. I should let you know about my friend Leah Evans, who makes beautiful map related art quilts:
http://www.leahevanstextiles.com/

cheers,
Laurie

 
At Thursday, February 26, 2009 , Blogger Cartophiliac said...

Laurie,

Yes, 1960 is a great game (see: http://cartophilia.com/blog/2008/02/1960-making-of-president.html).

I have seen Leah's work. It's great. I have it on my to do list already. One of these days I'll get around to blogging about her work.

Thanks!

 
At Friday, February 27, 2009 , Blogger Michael5000 said...

George Martin likes it, eh? How does it read? The cartography is nice...

 
At Sunday, March 01, 2009 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nessantico resembles Stockholm.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home